What is a blood sugar measuring device?
A blood sugar measuring device is a medical device for determining the glucose content in the blood (blood sugar). For this purpose, a blood sample is removed and applied to a blood test strip and then examined with the help of the measuring device.
How does a blood sugar measuring device work?
There are two measurement methods for blood sugar measuring devices that determine the blood sugar level:
- The blood sugar measurement using the photometric procedure: The sugar in the blood reacts to certain chemical substances with a color change. Photometric blood sugar measuring devices can record and evaluate this reaction.
- The blood sugar measurement using the amperometric procedure: With these blood sugar measuring devices, the test strip in the device is connected to an electrode. As soon as blood gets on the test strip, a light current flow is created, by reaction of blood sugar with an enzyme, e.g. B. Glucose oxidase. Based on the current strength of the reaction, the device determines the blood sugar level.
Where is a blood sugar measuring device used?
Diabetes is one of the most common metabolic diseases. Over 463 million people worldwide are affected by diabetes (source: https://de.statista.com/themen/262/diabetes/#dossierSummary) The characteristics of the disease is an increased blood sugar level, which can affect the diet of those affected and can lead to serious problems in the event of a lack of control. The essential component of the therapy of diabetes is the regular measurement of blood sugar levels using blood sugar measuring device. This serves both the general control and the adaptation of insuling.
How do you use a blood sugar measuring device?
- Prepare the device for the measurement: For the measurement you need the blood sugar measuring device, a test strip and lodging with Lanzette. Put these utensils ready.
- Now plug a test strip into the open opening in the measuring device.
- Switch on the blood sugar measuring device. Some devices switch on automatically.
- You should wash your hands before taking blood. Use a pH-neutral soap for this, because it does not leave any residues that can falsify the measurement result.
- Briefly sting into a fingertip with the cake aid and press the fingertip together slightly. In this way you get the necessary amount of blood.
- Put a drop of blood to the end of the test strip.
- Read the result: You can read the result immediately. The test strip is usually ejected at the push of a button for disposing.
What do you have to pay attention to when buying a blood sugar measuring device?
Since you have to determine your blood values every day, a single assist is recommended. With this help, taking blood is less painful. As a result, make sure that the blood sugar measuring device has a single assistant.
Data transmission via USB or via app
So that you can lead an electronic diabetes diary, a measuring device is advisable that has a USB interface or an app. So you can send the data easily and quickly to your doctor for the next check -up.
Easy to use
The blood sugar meter should be self -explanatory. A handy design and simple explanation on the display should significantly facilitate the application and documentation of your blood sugar.
Large and illuminated display
Your blood sugar measuring device should have the size of the most large and illuminated display. This means that you can read your measurement data even in poor lighting conditions.
You need this accessories for your blood sugar measuring device
Test strips: So -called blood sugar test strips are often included. They are inserted into the device for one -time use and are the carrier to which the blood to be tested is applied.
Stech aid: You can use a start -up aid to simplify the blood levy by briefly and painlessly stabbed the fingertip.